8/18/2022 3:51 pm
SchoolMates is a CMS-created strategic collaboration of local schools that provides an opportunity for mutual support and service between partners. OP's SchoolMate is Idlewild Elementary. OP organizes a uniform drive in the Fall and hosts a staff appreciation luncheon for Idlewild's staff in the Spring. Our Helping Hands funds are sometimes used to provide resources to Idlewild students in need. 2nd grade participates in a book drive to benefit their students as well.
*If you're interested in helping out, please contact Brandi Hooven, Lauren Rushing and Mercedes Grandinetti
brandihooven[@]gmail[dot]com, lauren[dot]nicole[dot]rushing[@]gmail[dot]com, mercedesbaezr[@]hotmail[dot]comRead More
8/18/2022 3:45 pm
The school store is an OP favorite! Students are able to visit the store mornings before school begins. Each grade has a specific day they'll be allowed to visit the store, so get your dollars and coins ready! Students must go to their classrooms first to set down backpacks and grab their money.
Monday - K/1st, Tuesday - 2nd, Wednesday - 3rd, Thursday - 4th, Friday - 5th
*Please email Ashley Volpenhein with any questions. avolp78[@]gmail[dot]comRead More
Safe Walk to School
8/17/2022 12:00 am
International Walk to School Day is a global event that involves communities from more than 40 countries walking and biking to school on the same day. It began in 1997 as a one-day event. Over time, this event has become part of a movement for year-round safe routes to school and a celebration – with record breaking participation – each October. Today, thousands of schools across America – from all 50 states, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico – participate every October and throughout the school year.
- Its Fun! - Walking and bicycling bring a sense of joy and independence.
- Healthier Habits - The trip to school is a chance for children (and adults!) to get the physical activity they need.
- Cleaner Environment - Replacing car trips to school with walking or bicycling can reduce congestion and air-polluting emissions.
- Promoting Safety - Building sidewalks, providing education programs and adding traffic calming measures are some of the ways to improve safety. Encouraging walking and bicycling to school can help build support for infrastructure improvements in the broader community.
- Community Benefits - Reducing traffic congestion, boosting a sense of community, and improving neighborhood connections benefit the community.
8/16/2022 12:00 am
Olde Providence is proud to be a Paideia Seminar Nationally Certified School!
A Paideia Seminar is defined as a collaborative intellectual dialogue facilitated with open-ended questions about a text. Specific learning objectives for the Paideia Seminar include both intellectual and social skills. Each seminar nurtures proficiency in both thinking and communication.
Consistent implementation of seminar practice across a school community results in:
- significantly improved achievement scores in reading and writing, especially among traditionally underserved populations;
- improved student motivation due to increased student voice in an active environment;
- a more respectful school culture with fewer behavior problems.
8/15/2022 12:00 am
OP's Garden Program started about 15 years ago with Cheri Powers and Deborah Mullen, two second grade teachers. Using PTA funds, the tradition has continued and it has since expanded to include every student at OP! OP students are thrilled to have a chance to learn hands-on how the world around them works while helping to make their school more beautiful.
Grades 3-5 plant a Fall garden with a focus on research. Grades K-2 plant a Spring garden with a focus on information. Both curriculums, around 10 weeks long, allow students to discover and learn how the world around them works. Families have an opportunity to contribute by donating plants, lending a blanket for students to sit on while they record in their journals, or by volunteering to work with a class.
*If you have questions, please contact Heather Bullock at heather_bullock[@]bellsouth[dot]net.Read More
3/1/2021 12:00 am
There is always so much happening at OP! Coffee with the Principal, The 5th Grade Talent Show, Grandparent's Day, International Cultures Week, Fall Festival, Muffins with Mom, Donuts with Dad, grade level concerts throughout the year, Beginner's Night, all of our wonderful afterschool clubs, and more!Read More